Please also refer to our Student FAQs page for more information.
Study Abroad Center Scholarships
- UHM Study Abroad Center scholarship: available to accepted students of one of the following semester/year programs. Click below for application form.
|Adelaide, Australia||Shanghai, China||Paris, France||Two Italies||Machida, Japan|
|Sydney, Australia||London, England||Florence, Italy||Kōbe, Japan||Seville, Spain|
- ASUH Study Abroad Scholarship: available to full-time, undergraduate, classified students at UH-Mānoa. Visit ASUH website for details.
- Kōnan University Consortium Scholarship: available to students who have been accepted to study for a spring semester or academic year in Kōbe to the Kōbe Year-In-Japan Program. No application form is required.
- Yoshihiro & Tamah Nakamura Memorial Scholarship: available to students who have been accepted to study for a spring semester or academic year in Kōbe or Machida, Japan. Must be a graduate of a Hawai‘i high school.
Please note that the list of scholarships below is subject to availability and may change without notice.
University of Hawai‘i System Scholarships
- University of Hawai‘i System Common Scholarship Application
- University of Hawai‘i System Scholarship
- UH Student Scholarships (STAR) keyword search: international
- Global Opportunities Scholarship (STAR) keyword search: Global Opportunities Scholarship
- Honda Study Abroad Scholarship for University of Hawai‘i Community College students
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa Scholarships
- Alwine & Jesse Doyle European Language Study Abroad Scholarships | Dept. of Languages & Literatures of Europe and the Americas
- William R. Johnson, Jr. Study Abroad Endowment | Shidler College of Business
- Scholarships & Fellowships | Office of Undergraduate Education
- Office of Student Engagement | College of Social Sciences
- Misawa-Honjo International Fellowship
- College of Arts & Sciences Office of Community Relations
- Mānoa Undergraduate Political Internships
- Dept. of Languages & Literatures of Europe and the Americas, French Division
- Dept. of Music Scholarships
- Center for South Asian Studies
- Scholarships | UHM Financial Aid Services
Updated Oct. 4, 2022
Please note that the UHM Study Abroad Center is not affiliated with any of the organizations listed below.
- Alliance Française Hawaii Scholarship
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program for Pell Grant recipients
- Blakemore Freeman Fellowships for Advanced Language Study
- Boren Awards for International Study
- The Brazil Initiation Scholarship (BIS)
- Bridging Scholarships for Study Abroad in Japan
- Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD) German Academic Exchange Service
- Fulbright U.S. Students Program
- Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) for student-athletes and LGBTQ students
- Freeman Awards for Study in Asia
- Gates Millennium Scholars
- GSF Student Grant The Global Studies Grant for Student Travel and Study Abroad
- Global Engineering Education Exchange Program (Global E3)
- Grassroots Development Fellowships for Graduate Students
- Hawaii Community Foundation
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- Kamehameha Schools/Bishop Estate for students of Hawaiian ancestry
- Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation for children of active duty, reserve, veteran, or fallen U.S. Navy Corpsman
- National Security Education Program David L. Boren Undergraduate Scholarships
- The National Italian American Foundations
- Point Foundation – The National LGBT Scholarship Fund
- Pride Foundation for residents of Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon or Washington
- Rotary International for graduate students
- Toshizo Watanabe Endowed Scholarship Fund for applicants of a semester- or year-long program in Japan
- University of Hawai‘i Federal Credit Union Scholarship for UH-System students who are also UHFCU members
- Whitaker International Fellows and Scholars Program for students majoring in biomedical engineering/bioengineering
- Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation
Updated Feb. 7, 2022
Financial Aid is available through the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa Financial Aid Services to UHM students only.
Students are required to have submitted a FAFSA for the academic year in which they plan to study abroad. Students must be enrolled with full-time status in order to receive aid. See chart below for minimum full-time enrollment status.
|Undergraduate||12 cr.||6 cr.|
|Graduate||8 cr.||4 cr.|
Starting Fall 2021, UH Mānoa will begin enforcing Course Program of Study (CPoS), which is a process to keep in compliance with federal regulations on financial aid. This means that financial aid can only be awarded to courses required for a student’s degree program. Study abroad programs do not fall under this requirement, but certain conditions do apply in order to receive aid. Below is a quote from the Federal Student Aid Handbook (2020-2021) regarding study abroad programs:
“The study-abroad program does not have to be a required part of the eligible program at the home school for the student to be eligible to receive FSA funds, but the credits earned through the study-abroad or exchange program must apply toward graduation in the student’s program at the home school. In addition, students in the study-abroad program must remain concurrently enrolled at their home school.”
For application and more information please visit Financial Aid Services and check their lists of scholarships.
Tel: (808) 956-7251
Fax: (808) 956-3985
Studying abroad is not as expensive as you might think.
Here’s a comparison of the cost of attendance at UH Mānoa and for studying abroad.
And here are “Some (Not-So-Secret) Secrets to Securing Scholarships for Studying Abroad”!
- All participants must have a passport in order to study abroad. Apply for a passport online, in person, or mail in your application.
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
- Find out if you need any travel vaccinations
- If changing time zones throws you off, read up on “Conquering Jet Lag“
- LGBT Travel Information
- Article for transgender students: “Traveling while transgender: Tips to stay safe and avoid stress.”
- Before visiting other countries, be sure to look up Travel Alerts and Warnings.
- Be aware of global Travel Health Notices
- What to do in the event there are Crises and Emergencies, including incarceration