Photograph of a world map with pushpins and the tagline: You dreamed of it. Now do it. Study Abroad.

Students from University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, UH-System schools, Chaminade University of Honolulu*, and other universities are welcome to apply.

*See specific forms below.

All applicants will be judged on their academic performance, reasons for wishing to study abroad, flexibility and sensitivity to other cultures, and ability to adjust to a new cultural setting.

Submit your completed application and fee to the Study Abroad Center by the deadline, either online or to Moore Hall 115. Applications missing any of the following elements will be deemed incomplete and not considered for review.

If you have questions regarding the application process and financial aid, please visit Frequently Asked Questions and Resources, respectively.

NOTE: ALL forms are for UHM Study Abroad Center program use only. 

1. Forms

A. Application Forms

1. UH Students – Online

Use our online application to apply for semester, year, and summer programs! You will need a UH login to apply online.

The online application is a hub for all of your application information. With it, you can request confidential references and student progress reports, see when they have been submitted, and pay for your application fee.

2. Non-UH Students or Independent/Self-Design Students – Hard copy PDFs

Please download, fill out, and print (on single-sided sheets) the appropriate application forms.



  1. Application Form
  2. Confidential Reference form (×3)
  3. Student Progress Report (first-year students only)
  1. Application Form
  2. Confidential Reference form (×2)
  3. Student Progress Report (first-year students only)
Independent Self-Designed
(UH-Mānoa students only)
  1. Guidelines
  2. Application Form
  3. Confidential Reference form (×3)
  4. Student Progress Report (first-year students only)
Chaminade University students only
  1. Application Form
  2. Confidential reference form (×3)
  3. Student Progress Report (first-year students only)
Chaminade University students only

  1. Application Form
  2. Confidential Reference form (×2)
  3. Student Progress Report (first-year students only)

B. Academic Confidential Reference Forms

1. Filling out the Reference Forms

Online: The online application has a feature, a “New Request” button, where you can send an email request to the teacher/employer writing your reference. A New Request will send an auto-generated email to the person writing your reference with a link for them to follow and complete the reference online. Your application will show if/when that person submits their reference, or you can send them an email reminder through the application. As a courtesy, we do strongly recommend speaking with your teacher/employer first about writing you a reference before sending them the request.

Hard copy: Please make sure that you have filled out your name, email address, the program location and the term you are applying for in the box on the top right corner of the form before asking your teacher/employer to write a reference for you. This ensures that we will be able to match your application with your reference forms, should they be submitted separately.

Note: By signing the waiver statement, you waive your right to review what your referee writes about you.

2. Types of references (revised, 2/27/14)

Academic references must be completed by your past or current University/College course instructors who have provided or will provide you with a grade.

3. Required number of references (revised, 2/27/14)

  • Semester/Year programs: Three (3) academic references OR two (2) academic references + one (1) employer or supervisor
  • Summer programs: Two (2) academic references

Hard-copy letters of recommendation must be accompanied by UHMSAC reference forms.

4. Student Progress Report (1/6/17)

In addition to the Reference Forms, college freshman must have a Student Progress Report completed by each of their current instructors.

Repeat Study Abroad Center applicants:

  • Students who have already successfully completed a UHMSAC program and are applying for another program or term need only one (1) reference form filled out by their former faculty Resident Director and/or equivalent academic personnel.
  • Students who studied abroad independently and did not report to an on-site academic personnel must submit three (3) academic references OR two (2) academic references + one (1) employment supervisor.
  • Students who only participated in a Faculty-Sponsored Study Tour (FaSST) program are not considered “repeat” applicants and must turn in the required number of reference letters for their desired SAC program.

Online: There is a checkbox to indicate whether you are a repeat applicant in the Confidential Academic Reference section. Please include the country/program you studied in and when. Example: “Paris, France in Fall 2018”

Hard copy: Indicate in #20 of the application form or directly to the Study Abroad Center if you are a repeat applicant. Please include the country/program you studied in and when. Example: “Paris, France in Fall 2018”

5. Submission of Reference Forms

Reference forms and letters may be submitted to the Study Abroad Center by the following methods:

  • Through the Online Application
  • United States Postal Services
  • Campus Mail Services
  • Personal delivery – by evaluator, by student assistant, or by applicant (the reference form and letter must arrive in a sealed envelope)
  • Faxed to 808.956.9319, and follow-up with original copies of all forms and letters

Reference forms must be received by the Study Abroad Center by 11:59 pm on the specified deadline; therefore, please allow ample delivery time.

C. Transcripts

  • Transcripts are not required for UH-system students.
  • First-year college students require a high school transcript.
  • Transfer students with records that do not appear on their STAR report require a transcript from former institutions.
  • Students from non UH-System schools must submit a transcript from all institutions attended.

Transcripts should be mailed directly from the school to the Study Abroad Center. Please indicate on transcript and/or transcript request form which Study Abroad program location the transcript/application is for.

University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Study Abroad Center
1890 East-West Road, Moore 115
Honolulu, HI 96822

D. Visa status (non-U.S. citizens only)

Submit a copy of the document that allows you to legally study/live in the U.S.: DS 2019 (J-1 visa holders), I-20 (F-1 visa holders) or Alien Registration Card (permanent residents).

Photograph of a forest path with the quote by E. Joseph Cassman: Obstacles are things a person sees when he takes his eyes off his goal.

2. Deadlines



Spring in Kōbe, Japan October 1
Spring October 15
Summer February 15
Academic Year in Kōbe, Japan March 1
Fall April 1

The Study Abroad Center is closed on weekends, and Federal and State holidays.

If any of the above dates falls on a holiday or weekend, the deadline will be moved either to the closest business day before or after the deadline, at the discretion of the Study Abroad Center. For example, because March 1, 2020 fell on a Sunday, the deadline was postponed to Monday, March 2.

3. Fees

The $30 application fee is non-refundable. Payments through the online application are by credit card, using the PayPal service. In-person payment is accepted in the form of check or money order only, made payable to RCUH (Research Corporation of the University of Hawai‘i).

Immediately upon acceptance to the program, students are required to pay a $500.00 non-refundable initial payment to ensure a place in the program. This initial payment will be applied toward the cost of the program.

UHMSAC Summer 2021