Please also refer to our Student FAQs page for more information.
Studying abroad is not as expensive as you might think.
Financial Aid is available through the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa Financial Aid Services to UHM students only.
Students are required to have submitted a FAFSA for the academic year in which they plan to study abroad.
Students must be enrolled with full-time status in order to receive aid. For undergrad students full-time is 12 credits per semester. Full-time enrollment for graduate students is 8 credits per semester. For summer the minimum full-time enrollment for undergraduate students is 6 credits and 4 credits for graduate students.
Tel: (808) 956-7251
Fax: (808) 956-3985
Study Abroad Center scholarships
- ASUH Study Abroad Scholarship: Available to full-time, undergraduate, classified students at UH Mānoa. Please visit ASUH website for details.
- DIS: Available to UHM students who are accepted to the Semester or Summer program in Copenhagen, Denmark. Scholarship amounts are $3,000 for Semester programs and $250 & $500 for the 3 & 6 credit programs respectively for the Summer per person.
- Margaret Todd Scholarship: The Margaret Todd scholarship is available only to students who are accepted to the Semester program in London, England. Click here to download the application form.
- Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO): Scholarship available to students accepted to a program to study in Japan. Recipients are not eligible for Konan University Consortium Scholarship. There is no application form required for this scholarship.
- Konan University Consortium Scholarship: Available to students who have been accepted to the Kobe Year-In-Japan Program who were not awarded the JASSO scholarship. There is no application form required for this scholarship.
Please note that the list of scholarships below is subject to availability and may change without notice.
University of Hawai‘i System Scholarships
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa Scholarships
- Alwine & Jesse Doyle European Language Travel Grants Summer 2017 application (deadline: March 1)
- Misawa-Honjo International Fellowship
- College of Arts & Sciences Alumni Association
- Mānoa Undergraduate Political Internships
- Dept. of Languages & Literatures of Europe and the Americas, French Division
- Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships for East Asia and Southeast Asia
- Dept. of Music Scholarships
- J. Watumull Scholarship for the Study of India
- Center for South Asian Studies
- Freeman Asia Scholarship | Shidler College of Business
- William R. Johnson, Jr. Study Abroad Endowment | Shidler College of Business
- Office of Student Engagement | College of Social Sciences
- Scholarships | UHM Financial Aid Services
Please note that the UHM Study Abroad Center is not affiliated with any of the organizations listed below.
- Alliance Française Hawaii Scholarship
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program for Pell Grant recipients
- Blakemore Freeman Fellowships for Advanced Language Study
- Boren Awards for International Study
- The Brazil Initiation Scholarship (BIS)
- Bridging Scholarships for Study Abroad in Japan
- Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst German Academic Exchange Service
- Fulbright U.S. Students Program
- Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) for student athletes and and LGBTQ students
- Freeman Awards for Study in Asia
- Gates Millennium Scholars
- GSF Student Grant The Global Studies Grant for Student Travel and Study Abroad
- Global Engineering Education Exchange Program (Global E3)
- Grassroots Development Fellowships for Graduate Students
- Hawaii Community Foundation
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- Kamehameha Schools/Bishop Estate for students of Hawaiian ancestry
- National Security Education Program David L. Boren Undergraduate Scholarships
- The National Italian American Foundations
- Point Foundation – The National LGBT Scholarship Fund
- Pride Foundation for residents of Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, or Washington
- Rotary International for graduate students
- Shawn Carter Foundation
- Whitaker International Fellows and Scholars Program for students majoring in biomedical engineering/bioengineering
- Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation
Before you go
- All participants must have a passport in order to study abroad. Apply for a passport online, in person, or mail in your application.
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
- Find out if you need any travel vaccinations
- LGBT Travel Information