Students from University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, UH-System schools, Chaminade University of Honolulu*, and other universities are welcome to apply.
*See specific forms below.
All applicants will be judged on their academic performance, reasons for wishing to study abroad, flexibility and sensitivity to other cultures, and ability to adjust to a new cultural setting.
Submit your completed application and fee to the Study Abroad Center in Moore Hall 115. Applications missing any of the following elements will be deemed incomplete and not considered for review.
NOTE: ALL forms are for UHM Study Abroad Center program use only.
A. Application Forms
Please download, fill out, and print (on single-sided sheets) the appropriate application forms.
|Spring or Academic Year in Kōbe, Japan||
Set your printer page scaling to “Fit to Printable Area” before printing.
(UH-Mānoa students only)
Chaminade University students only
Chaminade University students only
B. Academic Confidential Reference Forms
1. Filling out the Reference Forms
Please make sure that you have filled out your name, email address, the program location and the term you are applying for in the box on the top right corner of the form before asking your teacher/employer to write a reference for you. This ensures that we will be able to match your application with your reference forms, should they be submitted separately.
Note: By signing the waiver statement, you waive your right to review what your referee writes about you.
2. Types of references (revised, 2/27/14)
References must be completed by your past or current University/College course instructors who have provided or will provide you with a grade.
3. Required number of references (revised, 2/27/14)
- Semester/Year programs: Three (3) academic references OR two (2) academic references + one (1) employer or supervisor
- Spring/Year in Kōbe programs: Two (2) academic references + one (1) language evaluation
- Summer programs: Two (2) academic references
Letters of recommendation must be accompanied by UHMSAC reference forms.
4. Student Progress Report (1/6/17)
In addition to the Reference Forms, college freshman must have a Student Progress Report completed by each of their current instructors.
Repeat Study Abroad Center applicants:
- Students who have already successfully completed a UHMSAC program and are applying for another program or term need only one (1) reference form filled out by their former faculty Resident Director and/or equivalent academic personnel.
- Students who studied abroad independently and did not report to an on-site academic personnel must submit three (3) academic references OR two (2) academic references + one (1) employment supervisor.
5. Submission of Reference Forms
Reference forms and letters may be submitted to the Study Abroad Center by the following methods:
- United States Postal Services
- Campus Mail Services
- Personal delivery – by evaluator, by student assistant, or by applicant (the reference form and letter must arrive in a sealed envelope)
- Faxed to 808.956.9319, and follow-up with original copies of all forms and letters
Reference forms must be received by the Study Abroad Center by 4:30 pm on the specified deadline; therefore, please allow ample delivery time.
- Transcripts are not required for UH-system students.
- First-year college students require a high school transcript.
- Transfer students with records that do not appear on their STAR report require a transcript from former institutions.
- Students from non UH-System schools must submit a transcript from all institutions attended.
Transcripts should be mailed directly from the school to the Study Abroad Center. Please indicate on transcript and/or transcript request form which Study Abroad program location the transcript/application is for.
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Study Abroad Center
1890 East-West Road, Moore 115
Honolulu, HI 96822
D. Visa status (non-U.S. citizens only)
Submit a copy of the document that allows you to legally study/live in the U.S.: DS 2019 (J-1 visa holders), I-20 (F-1 visa holders) or Alien Registration Card (permanent residents).
|Spring in Kōbe||October 1|
|Academic Year-in-Japan (Kōbe and Machida)||March 1|
The Study Abroad Center is closed on weekends, and Federal and State holidays.
If any of the above dates falls on a holiday or weekend, the deadline will be moved either to the closest business day before or after the deadline, at the discretion of the Study Abroad Center. For example, because April 1, 2017 occurs on a Saturday, the deadline is postponed to Monday, April 3.
The $30 application fee is non-refundable. Payment is accepted in the form of cash, check or money order only, made payable to RCUH (Research Corporation of the University of Hawai‘i).
Immediately upon acceptance to the program, students are required to pay a $500.00 non-refundable initial payment to ensure a place in the program. This initial payment will be applied toward the cost of the program.
UHMSAC Spring 2014