STUDY VIRTUALLY ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD! IT’S YOUR CHOICE!
Definition and Appropriateness of an Independent, Self-designed Study Abroad Program
The “self-designed” study abroad option is available to University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa students who would like to study abroad, but cannot participate in an existing traditional study abroad programs due to extenuating academic circumstances. This option should be offered judiciously as an alternative, and the student must demonstrate the need to self-design and successfully execute such a program. This option ensures that a student will receive University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa credits and grades for coursework completed overseas, as well as University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa financial aid, if he or she is eligible.
The self-designed Study Abroad Program is only available during the Fall Semester, Spring Semester and Academic Year.
NOTE: The independent, self-designed study abroad program is offered to currently enrolled University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa students only. These independent study abroad programs require a great deal of initiative on the student’s part.
For more information on the independent self-designed Study Abroad Program option, contact us.
Destinations where students have previously proposed an independent study program:
The UHM Study Abroad Center will collect three types of fees from students whose proposal to study abroad independently is approved. The exact cost will vary, depending on a student’s particular proposed program.
- Study Abroad administrative fee (for UHM credits)
- Study Abroad insurance
- International Student Identity Card
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a currently enrolled UH-Mānoa student at the time of application.
- Have a 3.0 minimum GPA, on a 4.0 scale. Lower grade point averages may be considered in exceptional cases, but will require an explanation from the applicant.
- Request for course descriptions and course syllabi from the overseas university.
- Make an appointment to discuss the intended program with the Study Abroad Director.
- Select one of three options when designing the program:
- direct enrollment at an overseas institution of higher education
- self-directed independent study overseas, outside of a university setting
- combination of the first two options
- Apply directly to the overseas institution and follow their admissions requirements.
- Arrange for travel, housing, and payment of all program expenses and fees.
A complete application must be received by the Study Abroad Center by the stated deadlines to receive consideration. An independent program application consists of the following items:
- semester/year study abroad application
- $30 application fee
- study statement and program proposal
- three references
- student progress report (first-year students only)
- transcript (non UH-System coursework)
- program cost sheet
- itinerary/accommodation form
- course equivalency or faculty sponsor form
Fall semester: April 1
Spring semester: October 15
The Study Abroad Center is closed on weekends, and Federal and State holidays.